Wednesday 26 October 2005

How could they do this?

It must be the day for quoting The Times (I'm so livid I was almost tempted to put the 't' in The as lower case in complaint). In an article talking about Harry Hill creating a TV programme for children the author, (who isn't named on the online version - scared eh? You should be!) talks about their dislike of slapstick comedy. Ok slapstick isn't to everyones taste and each to their own, I accept that. But when it comes to the following sentence that is a step too far. After a brief journey through comedy history, listing slapstick people who they find unfunny, they then state the following:

Their contemporary equivalents are the Chuckle Brothers who manage to be both
unfunny and decidedly sinister — and not in a good way


How could they diss the comedy gods of children's TV! I may well have to write to Barry and Paul in a fit of outrage to demand that they sue for libel and then console them! How could the author say that they are sinister? What could be sinister about two middle-aged guys with northern accents, short hair, moustaches and who always hang around together?

The rest of the article is here

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay for darren, who sticks up for Bananarama and the Chuckle-brothers... !

Anonymous said...

preach it sister
well i'll stick up for the chuckle brothers, as for bananarama I just think the reviewer was taking them more seriously than they ever could potentially be ;-)

Anonymous said...

Here here. Well said. About The Chuckle Brothers, anyway. They're clearly comedy gods, and I still want to write the screenplay to my Chuckle Brothers movie (from memory, it had Ray Liotta as a disgraced CIA agent, handcuffed to the corpse of one of the chuckle brothers, stuck in Bradford. Or some other northern town).

I'm afraid I think Bananarama were a bit rubbish though. I preferred Bananaman. Has he got a new single out?

Anyway, this is to digress. I've been inspired by your example Mr Hill and restarted my blog. Although there's not much up there at the moment. So don't get too excited. Ha ha ha.

Anonymous said...

amen bloggers of the world unite. It is about time you got back into the blogging world. I'll add you to my links.

I must add that I wasn't sticking up for bananarama, I totally think that they were, and by all accounts are, crap, but that was their appeal. I was more confused that the reviewer was taking them seriously.

Still the fact stands that no one messes with the Chuckle Brothers!