Monday 3 October 2005

Sin City

Bought this at the weekend - shouldn't have as I couldn't really afford it but needed a little pick me up and my crack dealer is on holiday ;-)

Now I liked it. I thought the visuals were stunning and the one liners were fantastic. I have never read the graphic novels but have seen plenty similar. Ok, it is very violent, and I mean very, and this was accentuated by the use of the primarily black and white filming. If you don't like violence steer clear but if you want to see Frodo turned from cute, big-footed saviour of middle earth to a crazy canibal then it could be for you.

Bruce Willis was Bruce Willis. Clive Owen was surprisingly good, and I think he may even make a good James Bond now, very much in the style of Timothy Dalton (the welsh one, for all you partridge fans) (Andrew, what you think?). Devon Aoki was frightening yet awesome as the 'tart' assassin. But my favourite of them all was the wonderful Mickey Rourke. I thought he was great in Angel Heart but this was a fantastic return for him - crazy, in-love and in need of a 'damn fine coat'.

So I liked it and it is the sort of thing I could watch over and over. I'm sure the screen capture program will be working overtime to get some of the visuals.

So some favourite lines:
  • Worth dying for. Worth killing for. Worth going to hell for. Amen
  • That there is one damn fine coat you're wearing
  • And when his eyes go dead, the Hell I send him to will seem like Heaven after what I've done to him
  • She doesn't quite chop his head off She makes a Pez Dispenser out of him

No comments: