Thursday 8 December 2005

Little Briain vs Christmas Do

My faith in British comedy has been revived. Why, I hear you ask, Surely Darren hasn't decided that the third series of Little Britain is worth the licence fee? No, Andrew, don't worry I haven't gone that far. So why the reason for this outburst? Well, the fact is I have found something more unfunny than Little Britain!!!! Or should that be less funny?

Yes, it was our annual works do last night, I knew I shouldn't have woken up yesterday as it was going to be one of those days. Anyway, I agreed to give a lift to Mr Hopper, as I can't remember the last time I drove people to a do, so it probably was my turn. We had a minutes silence for departed friends - we remembered you, and then I had the first shock of my life. We arrived late, becasue we didn't want to be too sociable, and when we finally got to the bar we were asked, 'are you with that lot?' 'Yes,' we replied. 'Then there is a tab running.' Well, I had to be picked up off the ground, we remonstrated with the bar staff, told them this surely couldn't be, but apparently it was so. Absolutley, bloody typical... free drink and I was driving. I could have had a couple of Ladyboys (see Alan Partridge just in case you think I've gone all gay like).

So that was pretty funny in itself but the highlight of the evening was the entertainment. If you thought Little Britain has become dull, then believe me, it is still comedy genious compared to what we had to put up with. Ok, we are a creative bunch, we are full of ideas and can come up with some pretty cool solutions to problems. But comedy demands, timing and humour. Unfortunately the comedy presented had neither. At the best of times I felt like I was in a nightmare, at the worst of times it was a parallel universe where all the atmosphere had been replaced with treacle.

Ok, break the golden blog rule and go into four paragraphs. Having said that the food was nice and so was the local company on the table - but missed you A. So comedy genii our company is not, where are Howard and Vince when I need them? (see the Mighty Boosh just in case you think I've gone all gay like)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAO You poor guy. Surely there was some bright spot to the evening?

Anonymous said...

Surely the ideal time to develop tourettes syndrome, stand up and shout out 'f*ckbiscuit' or 'cockraisins'.

Sorry that I missed it. It sounds truly awful. I imagine that the whole evening's entertainment culminated as Civval was brought in riding Grayston like a bareback donkey, while the entire staff waved palm leaves and sang the classic Nils Lofgren song 'Keith Don't Go' in 14 part harmony.

That's what I imagine, anyway. And my imagination has never really coincided with reality. For instance, I imagined that the day of mumbling would start with the new SU video - a lone cello playing sad music while black and white shots of Michael Dawson, Allan Blackburn and Andy Twilley all from happier times were displayed.

I while I'm ranting about ScUm, can I complain about the cover of the most recent edition of The Life. It looks like should contain an interview with George Michael and informative articles on same-sex couples and a which-style run down of the best lubricants on the market.

Yours, as ever, with bile

Vince Noir, rock and roll star

PS Anonymous in the two most recent posts isn't me.