Friday 12 October 2007

Ever had one of those d'oh times?

Now I want to make it clear that I wouldn't change my broadband supplier. I believe the service and features, for the price I pay, is wonderful. So there you have it, I wouldn't move from BTBroadband unless it was a matter of life and death - and I would recommend them to anyone.

However (yes it is coming), there are one or two quirks that I have had to deal with and sometimes they come back to haunt me. For instance when I got the wireless hub it wouldn't connect. Despite all my best efforts in trying to place the wireless adapter close to the hub, inline and even right on top of it, it wouldn't find a strong enough signal to connect. I did however find the solution at an online forum, where they said change the hub setting to channel 11 from automatic or 1. Of course to do this you need to have a connection to the hub - can you see the problem? Wireless connection won't connect to the hub, solution change the settings on the hub, via a connection!

Fortunately I have an adpater card and so was able to pull out the wireless adapter, plug in the network card and then change the settings. It worked fine and I have enjoyed problem free connection ever since... until tonight.

As you can see from previous posts I have got a new Hub phone to use on the broadband connection and to other pcs - so if you have a Skype number feel free to drop it in. The instructions for the phone told me to click a button and then press the button on the back of the hub for 3 seconds. I stopped reading. When I pressed the number nothing appeared to happen... so I kept it pressed. The hub lights flashed.

For some reasons all connections to the internet were gone.

I reread the intructions, 'press the button for 3 seconds... only, any longer and the hub will reset. And you know what that means, channel reset to 1 and not 11. The solution... unplug the wireless adpater, plug in the network card and reset it all.

Perhaps I should read the intructions a bit more.

No comments: