Friday 29 June 2007

Outlook 2003, Norton Firewall and fun

Three things that don't go together and should never be used in the same sentence without the words 'Please Lord, why me?' This was my Thursday evening:

  • Outlook can't connect to your incoming server (error code blah, blah, blah)
  • Microsoft say this can be caused by an upgrade being applied to Office 2003 (very helpful - no seriously, I had identified the problem. I had added an upgrade)
  • Solution, uninstall then reinstall Norton Firewall (drastic, but OK)
  • Attempt to uninstall Firewall stopped as it informed me I was still running Live Update
  • Stop Live Update
  • Attempt to uninstall Firewall can't be done because it is now telling me it doesn't exist
  • Norton Firewall still running
  • OK, let's uninstall all of the BT/Yahoo software as that is what Norton is part of on my set up
  • Unistalls everything (I think)
  • Norton Firewall and Anti-Virus still running
  • OK, let's reinstall everything from BT
  • Installs everything apart from Firewall and anti-virus (can't install them as you have to remove them first... aaaargh)
  • Go an watch Simon Quinlag on YouTube
  • Go to BT/Yahoo centre on my PC and find that I can now unistall Firewall and Anti-virus from PC, they do now exist
  • Uninstall them
  • See if Outlook will now connect
  • it does, email is again flowing
  • Reinstall Firewall and Anti-virus
  • Recheck email
  • It all works
  • Go to bed

2 comments:

Helen Crawford said...

Get a Mac!

Darren said...

LOL
yeah I know, but I wonder whether I am cool enough to have a Mac :-)