Wednesday 9 November 2005

She sells grapevines

I think I've posted about my recent interest in mash-ups before, but I need to tell you about a couple I recently heard. For the uninitiated a mash-up is the mixing of two or more tracks to create what can only be described as a hybrid track. It has been used by good effect by the pop industry to get a little money for itself eg by the the sugababes with their Tubeway (Gary Numan) Army track. However the best examples are to be found underground and on the net.

Anyway, the ones I just wanted to mention were a couple of tracks which have used Marvin Gaye's Heard it through the grapevine. Now I'm not a soul fella and so have never been big on Marvin, even though I think he has a great voice. But some clever chappies have mixed his vocal over the top of two of my favourite tracks to create something very interesting, if not fantastic.

The first is called My grapevine life, which mixes Marvin with Talk Talk's It's my life, and it works. The second mixes the soul legend's vocals with the Cult's She sells sanctuary and is called She sells grapevines. I think they are both great and if you're interested simply put those titles into google or yahoo and follow the links. Alternatively take a trip to Live 105's SixxMixx guru PartyBen and or MashupTownRadio and learn all about mashing.

No comments: